Economists at war : how a handful of economists helped win and lose the World Wars / Alan Bollard
- Bollard, Alan
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2020.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white).
- Oxford scholarship online
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Fall Down Seven Times Get Up Eight? Takahashi Korekiyo in Japan, 1934-5 -- How Takahashi Learned His Craft -- 1934.Saving Japan from Depression -- 1935.Disciplining Military Spending -- 2.Richest Man in the World? H. H. Kung in China, 1936--7 -- H. H. Kung and the First Family of China -- 1936.Collecting Revenue Chinese-Style -- 1937.Raising Foreign Aid -- 3.The Self-Proclaimed Economic Wizard: Hjalmar Schacht in Germany, 1938--9 -- `One of Germany's Strong Men -- 1938.Filling the Credit Shortage---MEFO Bills -- 1939.Trade Deals to Save Foreign Exchange -- 4.`No One in Our Age was Cleverer...': Maynard Keynes in Britain, 1939--41 -- `I Work for a Government I Deplore...' -- 1939-40.How to Pay for the War -- 1941.The International Clearing Union -- 5.The Calculating Iceman: Leonid Kantorovich in the USSR, 1941--2 -- The Boy from Petrograd -- 1941.Solving Linear Programming -- 1942.The Best Use of Economic Resources -- 6.The Peacenik who Helped Bombing Tactics: Wassily Leontiefin the USA, 1943--4 -- That Other Boy from Petrograd -- 1943.Reports on the Russian Economy -- 1943-4.Input-Output Analysis and Bombing -- 7.`If They Say Bomb at One O'clock...': John von Neumann in the USA, 1944--5 -- `Johnny von Neumann and the Rest of Us' -- 1944-5.Bombing, Computing, and Modelling -- 1945.Game Theory and Confrontation -- 8.Economists at Armistice: The Economists at War's End, 1946 -- `...Even if the A-Bomb Had Not Been Dropped' -- 1946.Peace in the East -- 1946.Peace in the West -- 9.Economists in the Cold War: Money, Computers, and Models, 1946--55 -- Kung Making Hot Money -- Von Neumann in the Cold War -- Kantorovich at War and Peace -- Leontief at Peace -- 10.Annex: Economies in Wartime -- Impact of the War on the Major Warring Economies -- Wartime Economic Burdens -- Summary of Wartime Policy Approaches.
- Wartime is not just about military success. This text tells a different story - about a group of remarkable economists who used their skills to help their countries fight their battles during the Chinese-Japanese War, Second World War, and the Cold War.
- 9780191881244 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- This edition previously issued in print: 2019.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 29992246