The invention of papal history : Onofrio Panvinio between Renaissance and Catholic reform / Stefan Bauer
- Bauer, Stefan, 1972-
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2020.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white).
- Oxford-Warburg studies and Oxford scholarship online
- Machine generated contents note: 1."The Clouds Roar': Panvinio's Early Career -- From Verona to Rome -- Panvinio's Early Literary Production -- The Histories of Noble Families -- Exile from Rome with Cardinal Farnese -- Roman Antiquity and the Problem of Forgery -- 2.Between Church and Empire: Panvinio's Final Decade -- Journey to Germany and Return to Rome -- German Patrons -- Panvinio's Death and the Fate of His Manuscripts -- 3.Panvinio's History of Papal Elections -- Introduction -- Massarelli's Modes -- The Shorter and Full Versions of De varia creatione -- The First Centuries and the Carolingians (Books I--III) -- The Investiture Controversy (Book IV) -- Licet de vitanda (Books V-VII) -- The Great Schism (Book VIII) -- Renaissance and Contemporary Conclaves (Books IX-X) -- Pius IV's Conclave Bull, 1561-3 -- The Epitomes -- Panvinio's History of Imperial Elections -- Panvinio and Chacon on the Roles of Change and Variation -- 4.Church History, Censorship, and Confessionalization -- The Interrelationship of History and Theology -- Papal Biography -- Early Modern Censorship Seen From a Roman Perspective -- Panvinio's Church History -- Panvinio's De primatu Petri -- Censorships of De varia creatione -- Francisco Pena's Censorship -- Jakob Gretser on Gregory VII -- Epilogue -- Appendix: The Papal Election Decree of 1059 -- Bibliography -- Primary Sources -- i.Manuscripts and archival sources -- ii.Printed works by Panvinio -- iii.Other printed primary sources (up to c.1700).
- The Catholic Church is among the oldest, most secretive, institutions in the world, but in the sixteenth century a friar, Onofrio Panvinio, undertook ground-breaking investigations into the Church's history from Christ to the Renaissance. This study shows how his writings impacted on church and society, but also how he changed historical writing.
- 9780191844799 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- This edition previously issued in print: 2019.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 29992250