China : dawn of a golden age, 200-750 AD / James C.Y. Watt, An Jiayao, Angela F. Howard, Boris I. Marshak, Su Bai, Zhao Feng: with contributions by Prudence O. Harper, Maxwell K. Hearn, Denise Patry Leidy, Chao-Hui Jenny Liu, Valentina Raspopova, Zhixin Sun
- New York : The Metropolitan Museum of Art ; New Haven : Yale University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 392 pages : color illustrations, maps ; 31 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Watt, James C. Y.
Howard, Angela Falco
Marshak, B. I. (Boris Ilʹich), 1933-2006
Harper, Prudence Oliver
Hearn, Maxwell K.
Leidy, Denise Patry
Chao-Hui Jenny Lui
Raspopova, V. I. (Valentina Ivanova)
Sun, Zhixin, 1951-
Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.)
- About this exhibition / James C. Y. Wyatt -- Art and history in China from the 3rd through the 8th century / James C. Y. Wyatt -- Central Asian metalwork in China / Boris I. Marshak -- The art of glass along the Silk Road / An Jiayao -- The evolution of textiles along the Silk Road / Zhao Feng -- Buddha images of the northern plain, 4th-6th century / Su Bai -- Buddhist art in China / Angela F. Howard -- Catalogue -- I. Late Han, late 2nd-early 3rd century -- II. The coming of the Xianbei -- III. Early Northern Wei dynasty -- IV. The western regions and the way thither -- V. South China, 3rd-6th century -- VI. Luoyang and after, 6th century in the north -- VII. Arts of the Sui and early Tang dynasties, 581-755.
- "The integration of foreign motifs and styles with the traditional arts of China is the focus of this catalogue and the landmark exhibition that it accompanies, "China: Dawn of a Golden Age, 200-750 AD," held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The exhibition compromises some three hundred objects, most of them excavated in recent years and many never before seen outside China. Each work is discussed in terms of its aesthetic qualities and art-historical significance and in the context of the philosophical and religious ideas that are reflected in iconography and style." "In an introductory essay, James C. Y. Wyatt, Brooke Russell Astor Chairman, Department of Asian Art, at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, discusses the art and history of the entire period. Essays by both Chinese and Western scholars explore important aspects of metalwork, glass, and textiles, as well as the development of Buddhist art in China."--BOOK JACKET.
- 1588391264 (hardcover)
0300104871 (Yale University Press)
- Catalog of an exhibition held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Oct. 12, 2004-Jan. 23, 2005.
Exhibition title: China : dawn of a golden age, 200-750 AD.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 350-378) and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Also available as electronic reproduction. Plymouth Meeting, Pa. : codeMantra ; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2012.
- Administrative History:
- Zhao Feng is Vice Director, China National Silk Museum, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province.
Su Bai is Professor, Department of Archaeology, Beijing University.
Boris I. Marshak is Chief Researcher and Head of Central Asian and Caucasian Section, State Hermitage Museum, Saint Petersburg.
An Jiayao is Director, Department of the Han-Tang Periods and Director, Xi'an Branch, Institute of Archaeology, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.
Angela F. Howard is Special Consultant in Chinese Buddhist Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Professor of Asian Art, The State University of New Jersey at Rutgers.
James C. Y. Wyatt is Brooke Russell Astor Chairman, Department of Asian Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
View MARC record | catkey: 30276901