Ganong's review of medical physiology / Kim E. Barrett, Susan M. Barman, Heddwen L. Brooks, Jason X.-J. Yuan
- Barrett, Kim E.
- Additional Titles:
- Review of medical physiology
- New York : McGraw-Hill Education ; London : McGraw-Hill [distributor], 2019.
- Copyright Date:
- Twenty-Sixth Edition.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 742 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 28 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Barman, Susan M., Brooks, Heddwen L., Yuan, Jason X.-J., 1963-, and Ganong, William F.
- General principles & energy production in medical physiology -- Overview of cellular physiology in medical physiology -- Immunity, infection, & inflammation -- Excitable tissue: nerve -- Excitable tissue: muscle -- Synaptic & junctional transmission -- Neurotransmitters & neuromodulators -- Somatosensory neurotransmission: touch, pain, and temperature -- Vision -- Hearing & equilibrium -- Smell & taste -- Reflex and voluntary control of posture & movement -- Autonomic nervous system -- Electrical activity of the brain, sleep-wake states, & circadian rhythms -- Learning, memory, language & speech -- Basic concepts of endocrine regulation -- Hypothalamic regulation of hormonal functions -- The pituitary gland -- The thyroid gland -- The adrenal medulla & adrenal cortex -- Hormonal control of calcium & phosphate metabolism & the physiology of bone -- Reproductive development & function of the female reproductive system -- Function of the male reproductive system -- Endocrine functions of the pancreas & regulation of carbohydrate metabolism -- Overview of gastrointestinal function & regulation -- Digestion, absorption, & nutritional principles -- Gastrointestinal motility -- Transport & metabolic functions of the liver -- Origin of the heartbeat & the electrical activity of the heart -- The heart as a pump -- Blood as a circulatory fluid & the dynamics of blood & lymph flow -- Cardiovascular regulatory mechanisms -- Circulation through special regions -- Introduction to pulmonary structure & mechanics -- Gas transport & pH -- Regulation of respiration -- Renal function & micturition -- Regulation of extracellular fluid composition & volume -- Acidification of the urine & bicarbonate excretion.
- "In this new edition, we have cast a fresh eye on the pedagogical approach taken in each chapter and section, and have focused particularly on including only material that is of the highest yield. We have thoroughly revised the learning objectives for every chapter, reorganized and updated the text to ensure that all objectives are clearly addressed in a logical order, aligned chapter summaries so that the take-home messages quickly address each learning objective in turn, and expanded the number of review questions so that readers also have the ability to check their understanding and retention of every objective covered. As a discipline evolves and new information emerges, there is a tendency simply to concatenate these concepts such that chapter structure degrades inevitably over time. With in-depth discussions amongst the author team and significant "spring-cleaning," we believe we have freshened and simplified the volume while also making sure that important new developments are incorporated. We are immensely thankful to Erica Wehrwein, PhD, Assistant Professor of Physiology and an award-winning instructor at Michigan State University, who took on the task of reviewing the book as a whole and providing specific and detailed feedback to us on each chapter."--Provided by publisher.
- 1260122409 (paperback : alk. paper)
9781260122404 (paperback : alk. paper)
- Related Titles:
- McGraw-Hill's AccessMedicine
- "A Lange medical book"
Previous edition : London : McGraw-Hill Medical, 2016.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 30277602