A cultural history of dress and fashion in antiquity / edited by Mary Harlow
- Additional Titles:
- In antiquity
- London ; New York : Bloomsbury Academic, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiii, 233 pages) : illustrations, map
- Additional Creators:
- Harlow, Mary, 1956-
- A cultural history of dress and fashion ; volume 1
- List of IllustrationsIntroductionMary HarlowChapter 1 -- TextilesEva Andersson Strand and Ulla ManneringChapter 2 -- Production and DistributionKerstin Droß-KrüpeChapter 3 -- The BodyGlenys Davies and Lloyd Llewellyn-JonesChapter 4 -- Belief Carly Daniel HughesChapter 5 -- Gender and SexualityGlenys Davies and Lloyd Llewellyn-JonesChapter 6 -- StatusKelly OlsonChapter 7 -- Ethnicity Ursula RotheChapter 8 -- Visual RepresentationsLena Larsson LovénChapter 9 -- Literary RepresentationsMary HarlowNotesBibliographyNotes on ContributorsIndex.
- "Whilst seemingly simple garments such as the tunic remained staples of the classical wardrobe, sources from the period reveal a rich variety of changing styles and attitudes to clothing across the ancient world. Covering the period 500BC to 800AD and drawing on sources ranging from extant garments and architectural iconography to official edicts and literature, this volume reveals Antiquity's preoccupation with dress, which was matched by an appreciation of the processes of production rarely seen in later periods. From a courtesan's sheer faux-silk garb to the sumptuous purple dyes of an emperor's finery, clothing was as much a marker of status and personal expression as it was a site of social control and anxiety. Contemporary commentators expressed alarm in equal measure at the over-dressed, the excessively ascetic or at 'barbarian' silhouettes. Richly illustrated with 100 images, A Cultural History of Dress and Fashion in Antiquity presents an overview of the period with essays on textiles, production and distribution, the body, belief, gender and sexuality, status, ethnicity, visual representations, and literary representations."--Bloomsbury Publishing.
- 9781350114036 electronic book
1350114030 electronic book
9781350114043 (electronic bk.)
1350114049 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 203-225) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 30281025