Experiential learning and outdoor education : traditions of practice and philosophical perspectives / edited by Jim Parry and Pete Allison
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2020.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 134 pages) : illustration
- Additional Creators:
- Parry, S. J. (S. Jim) and Allison, Pete
- Experiential pedagogy in the Czech Republic / Ivo Jirásek, Ivana Turčová -- Experiential learning in the outdoors: the Norwegian tradition / Helga Synnevåg Løvoll -- Influences on Anglophone approaches to outdoor education / Pete Allison -- Wilhelm Dilthey: lived experience and the symbolic productivity of the body / Jiří Klouda -- Learning as differentiation of experiential schemas / Jan Halák -- John Dewey's conceptualisation of experience / John Quay -- The long-term influence of expeditions on people's lives / Maria-Jose Ramirez, Pete Allison, Tim Stott, Aaron Marshall -- Transformative experience as a change of horizon / Ivo Jirásek.
- "This book adds to the theoretical development of the emerging fields of experiential learning and outdoor education by examining the central concept, 'experience', and interrogating a central claim of experiential learning: whether, and if so how, a short-term singular experience can transform a participant's life as a whole and in a permanent way. While such a possibility has been corroborated by the personal testimonies of participants, and the activities of instructors over many years, the book argues that we must go beyond this kind of 'evidence'. In comparing Anglophone and continental approaches and drawing on the work of Dewey, Dilthey and Merleau-Ponty in the philosophy of experience, Experiential Learning and Outdoor Education presents the first detailed review of the concept of 'experience' in European philosophy, as applied to outdoor experiential learning. A vital insight into the field, this is important reading for students and researchers working in the philosophy of sport, and pedagogical theory, especially in areas relating to the outdoors, but also to experiential education more generally."--Provided by publisher.
- 9781000692792 (electronic bk.), 1000692795 (electronic bk.), 9780429298806 (electronic bk.), 0429298803 (electronic bk.), 9781000693157 (electronic bk. ; EPUB), and 1000693155 (electronic bk. ; EPUB)
- "Routledge Focus."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Biographical Note:
- Jim Parry is Visiting Professor at the Faculty of Physical Education and Sport, Charles University in Prague and former Head of the Department of Philosophy, University of Leeds, UK. His main interests are in sports ethics and social and political philosophy. He is Series Co-editor of the Routledge series Ethics and Sport. Pete Allison is Professor at the Pennsylvania State University, USA. His scientific interests are in experiential education, values, ethics and qualitative research. The main areas of his work are in Snowsports and the Outward Bound™ movement. He is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, the Explorers Club of New York, the Young Explorers Trust and the British Exploring Society.
View MARC record | catkey: 30286656