Choosing and Using a New CAT [electronic resource] : Getting the Most from Your Schmidt Cassegrain or Any Catadioptric Telescope / by Rod Mollise
- Mollise, Rod
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2020.
- 2nd ed. 2020.
- Physical Description:
- X, 345 pages 87 illustrations, 78 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series, 1431-9756
- About the Author -- Acknowledgements -- Chapter 1: Why a CAT? -- Chapter 2: What's a CAT? -- Chapter 3: Inside a CAT -- Chapter 4: Which CAT? -- Chapter 5: Making Friends with a CAT -- Chapter 6: Accessorizing a CAT -- Chapter 7: First Light with a CAT -- Chapter 8: Enjoying a CAT -- Chapter 9: Care and Feeding of a CAT -- Chapter 10: Computerizing a CAT -- Chapter 11: Taking Pictures with a CAT -- Chapter 12: Hacking a CAT: hints, Tips, and Projects -- Chapter 13: Keeping the passion Alive -- Appendix A: Telescope and Accessory Dealers and Manufacturers -- Appendix B: Internet Resources, Software, and Books for CAT Users -- Index.
- Catadioptric telescopes (CATs) such as the Schmidt Cassegrains remain popular among amateur astronomers for their ability to reveal thousands of beautiful deep-space wonders. Additionally, their computer-assisted capabilities allow them to automatically point to and track celestial objects, making astronomy accessible to more people than ever before. However, selecting the right one and learning how to use it can be difficult for stargazers both old and new. That's where this book comes in. The first edition, published in 2009, has remained the standard reference for mastering these popular instruments. This revised edition brings the material completely up to date, with several extensively rewritten chapters covering the most recent developments in telescope and camera equipment as well as computer software. Through the author's 45 years of experience with catadioptric telescopes, readers will learn to decide which catadioptric telescope is right for them, to choose a specific make and model, and finally, to use the telescope in the field. Covered in other chapters are: Solar System and deep-sky observations; astrophotography and computer control of CATs; and troubleshooting and maintaining your equipment. If you dream of owning a telescope or are frustrated by the telescope you already own, this is the book for you!
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 30572717