- The smart grid initiative, integrating advanced sensing technologies, intelligent control methods, and bi-directional communications into the contemporary electricity grid, offers excellent opportunities for energy efficiency improvements and better integration of distributed generation, coexisting with centralized generation units within an active network. A large share of the installed capacity for recent renewable energy sources already comprises insular electricity grids, since the latter are preferable due to their high potential for renewables. However, the increasing share of renewables in the power generation mix of insular power systems presents a significant challenge to efficient management of the insular distribution networks, mainly due to the variability and uncertainty of renewable generation. More than other electricity grids, insular electricity grids require the incorporation of sustainable resources and the maximization of the integration of local resources, as well as specific solutions to cope with the inherent characteristics of renewable generation. Insular power systems need a new generation of methodologies and tools to face the new paradigm of large-scale renewable integration. Smart and Sustainable Power Systems: Operations, Planning, and Economics of Insular Electricity Grids discusses the modeling, simulation, and optimization of insular power systems to address the effects of large-scale integration of renewables and demand-side management. This practical book: Describes insular power systems, renewable energies, uncertainty, variability, reserves, and demand response Examines state-of-the-art forecasting techniques, power flow calculations, and scheduling models Covers probabilistic and stochastic approaches, scenario generation, and short-term operation Includes comprehensive testing and validation of the mathematical models using real-world data Explores electric price signals, competitive operation of distribution networks, and network expansion planning Smart and Sustainable Power Systems: Operations, Planning, and Economics of Insular Electricity Grids provides a valuable resource for the design of efficient methodologies, tools, and solutions for the development of a truly sustainable and smart grid.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Boston, MA : Safari, Available via World Wide Web. 2015.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Copyright Note:
- Copyright © CRC Press 2015 2015
- Issuing Body:
- Made available through: Safari, an O'Reilly Media Company.
View MARC record | catkey: 30579239