Envisioning Innovative Technology Design for Mindfulness Meditation
- Kvasny, Kristina
- [University Park, Pennsylvania] : Pennsylvania State University, 2020.
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- Fonseca, Frederico and Schreyer Honors College
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access.
- In the United States, there is a rise in mental illness and antidepressant medication usage, as well as a growing separation between people and nature. People are taking action against their mental illness by using mobile apps to practice meditation. However, these meditation apps have some limitations that need to be improved. This study is seeking to envision a new, innovative technology design for novices beginning to practice mindfulness meditation in outdoor environments. The guiding research question is, what expert recommendations can be provided to improve the design of mindfulness meditation technology to promote outdoor usage and support novice users? Interviews were conducted with Penn State faculty to understand their design insights. These design insights were analyzed using qualitative methods. Four themes were identified from the analysis: motivation, heightened engagement of the body, portability, and automation. These ideas were synthesized to create a new technology design, the Breathing Rock. The Breathing Rock can be tested further by being prototyped and tested on a pilot group.
- Dissertation Note:
- B.S. Pennsylvania State University 2020.
- Technical Details:
- The full text of the dissertation is available as an Adobe Acrobat .pdf file ; Adobe Acrobat Reader required to view the file.
View MARC record | catkey: 30585489