Team spirits : the Native American mascots controversy / edited by C. Richard King and Charles Fruehling Springwood ; foreword by Vine Deloria, Jr.
- Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xv, 356 pages ; 22 cm
- Additional Creators:
- King, C. Richard, 1968-
Springwood, Charles Fruehling
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Imagined Indians, social identities, and activism / C. Richard King and Charles Fruehling Springwood -- Chief Bill Orange and the Saltine Warrior : a cultural history of Indian symbols and imagery at Syracuse University / Donald M. Fisher -- Becoming the Indians : fashioning Arkansas State University's Indians / Mary Landreth -- Wennebojo meets the mascot : a trickster's view of the Central Michigan University mascot/logo / Richard Clark Eckert -- Sockalexis and the making of the myth at the core of Cleveland's "Indian" image / Ellen J. Staurowsky.
Fighting Braves of Michigamua : adopting the visage of American Indian warriors in the halls of academia / Patrick Russell LeBeau -- Best offense ... : dissociation, desire, and the defense of the Florida State University Seminoles / C. Richard King and Charles Fruehling Springwood -- At home in Illinois : presence of Chief Illiniwek, absence of Native Americans / David Prochaska -- Fighting name-calling : challenging "Redskins" in court / Suzan Shown Harjo.
Last of the Mohicans, braves, and warriors : the end of American Indian mascots in Los Angeles public schools / Ann Marie (Amber) Machamer -- Escaping the tyranny of the majority : a case study of mascot change / Laurel R. Davis and Malvina T. Rau -- In whose honor? : mascots and the media / Jay Rosenstein -- Educators and mascots : challenging contradictions / Cornel D. Pewewardy -- Uneasy Indians : creating and contesting Native American mascots at Marquette University / C. Richard King.
Playing Indian and fighting (for) mascots : reading the complications of Native American and Euro-American alliances / Charles Fruehling Springwood -- Closing arguments, opening dialogues / Charles Fruehling Springwood and C. Richard King.
- 0803277989 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- "Bison books"--T.p. verso.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3079645