Infertility around the globe : new thinking on childlessness, gender, and reproductive technologies / edited by Marcia C. Inhorn, Frank van Balen
- Berkeley : University of California Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- viii, 347 pages ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Inhorn, Marcia Claire, 1957- and Balen, Frank van
- Introduction : interpreting infertility : a view from the social sciences / Frank van Balen and Marcia C. Inhorn -- The uses of a "disease" : infertility as rhetorical vehicle / Margarete Sandelowski and Sheryl de Lacey -- Fertile ground : feminists theorize infertility / Charis M. Thompson -- The psychologization of infertility / Frank van Balen -- Infertile bodies : medicalization, metaphor, and agency / Arthur L. Greil -- Deciding whether to tell children about donor insemination : an unresolved question in the United States / Gay Becker., Conceiving the happy family : infertility and marital politics in Northern Vietnam / Melissa J. Pashigian -- Positioning gender identity in narratives of infertility : South Indian women's lives in context / Catherine Kohler Riessman -- Childlessness, adoption, and milagros de Dios in Costa Rica / Gwynne L. Jenkins with Silvia Vargas Obando and José Badilla Navas -- Problematizing fertility : "scientific" accounts and Chadian women's narratives / Lori Leonard., Is infertility an unrecognized public health and population problem? : the view from the Cameroon grassfields / Pamela Feldman-Savelsberg -- Infertility and matrilineality : the exceptional case of the Macua of Mozambique / Trudie Gerrits -- Infertility and health care in countries with less resources : case studies from sub-Saharan Africa / Johanne Sundby -- The "local" confronts the "global" : infertile bodies and new reproductive technologies in Egypt / Marcia C. Inhorn., and Rabbis and reproduction : the uses of new reproductive technologies among ultraorthodox Jews in Israel / Susan Martha Kahn -- The politics of making modern babies in China : reproductive technologies and the "new" eugenics / Lisa Handwerker -- Conception politics : medical egos, media spotlights, and the contest over test-tube firsts in India / Aditya Bharadwaj.
- 0520231082 (cloth : alk. paper)
0520231376 (paper : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3086405