U.S. national debate topic, 2018-2019 : immigration
- Additional Titles:
- [Ipswich, Mass.] : EBSCO Information Services, Inc. ; Amenia, NY : Grey House Publishing, 
- Copyright Date:
- copyright 2018
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 201 pages : color illustrations ; 28 cm.
- Reference shelf ; volume 90, number 3
- Preface -- Immigration Then and Now -- Letting Them In: America's Turbulent Immigration History -- US Has Long History of Restricting Immigrants -- The U.S. Immigration Debate -- The Facts about Immigration -- Bring on the Conservative Debate for Immigration -- Only Mass Deportation Can Save America -- The Case Against Immigration: Why the United States Should Look Out for Itself -- Trump's Assault on Immigrants Will Seriously Damage the Economy -- DREAMers and Asylum -- Immigration Issues: Dreamers, Workers, and Refugees -- It's Not Illegal Immigration That Worries Republicans Anymore -- The Republican Party Is Turning Against Legal Immigration -- The H1-B Visa Debate, Explained -- Feds Prosecuting Illegal Immigrants for Enticing Relatives to U.S. -- "Dreamers" Could Give US Economy-and Even American Workers-a Boost -- To Curb Illegal Immigration, DHS Separating Families at the Border -- The Census -- The Politics of Demography: The Census Bureau and Immigration -- The Controversial Question DOJ Wants to Add to the U.S. Census -- The Census Has Always Been Political: Especially When It Comes to Race, Ethnicity, and National Origin -- Illegal Immigration Gives Cities Political Power -- The 2020 Census Citizenship Question Is Spelling Trouble in Texas -- Why a Census Question about Citizenship Should Worry You, Whether You're a Citizen or Not -- Border Wall -- The Wall Before the Storm -- The High Cost and Diminishing Returns of a Border Wall -- The Wall: The Real Costs of a Barrier Between the United States and Mexico -- What Geology Has to Say About Building a 1,000-Mile Border Wall -- Trump Privately Presses for U.S. Military to Pay for Border Wall.
In 2006, Democrats Were Saying "Build That Fence!" -- Landowners Likely to Bring More Lawsuits as Trump Moves on Border Wall -- The Taking: How the Federal Government Abused Its Power to Seize Property for a Border Fence -- Sanctuary -- The Politics of Sanctuary -- The False Promise of Sanctuary Cities -- The Trump Administration's First Step to Defund "Sanctuary Cities" Is Surprisingly Cautious -- Whom Do Sanctuary Cities Protect? -- Trump Administration Sues California Over Laws Protecting Immigrants -- Municipal Suffrage, Sanctuary Cities, and the Contested Meaning of Citizenship -- Bibliography -- Websites -- Index.
- Examines current trends in immigration policy and collects a variety of thought pieces on the issue of immigration.
- Emigration and immigration law—United States—History—21st century
- Illegal aliens—Government policy—United States—History—21st century
- Deportation—Government policy—United States—History—21st century
- Asylum, Right of—Government policy—United States
- Immigration law—United States—History
- Illegal aliens—Government policy—United States—History
- Asylum—Government policy
- United States—Emigration and immigration—Government policy—History—21st century
- United States—Immigration and emigration—Government policy—History
- 9781682178669 (pbk.)
- Interest Grade:
- H.W. Wilson.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 30870066