Argentina 2017 [electronic resource]: Multi-Dimensional Economic Survey
- Corporate Author:
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- Paris : Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development July 2017 London : Stationery Office, The [Distributor]
- Physical Description:
- 169 p. 28.000 x 00.000 cm.
- OECD Economic Surveys Ser. 2017/16
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Annotation Following years of unsustainable economic policies, Argentina has undertaken a bold turnaround in policies, which has helped to stabilise the economy and avoid another crisis. Building on this reform progress should help lay the foundations to raise the material living standards and well-being of all Argentinians, including the most vulnerable. This Survey discusses the challenges ahead and the policy options to address these challenges. Improvements in the areas of regulation on product markets, labour markets, competition, taxes, infrastructure, education, trade policy and financial markets would strengthen investment and productivity, which are the basis for sustainable income gains. Some of these reforms will involve adjustment costs as jobs will be lost in some firms and sectors and created in others, but well-designed policies can protect the poor and vulnerable from the burden of adjustment. A current focus on strengthening the social safety net and efforts to improve the quality of education are part of such policies, as is labour market support for affected workers. The benefits of stronger growth will depend on improving the distribution of income, which is currently very unequal and leaves one third of the population in poverty, with more at risk of falling into poverty. Efforts are also underway to reduce inequalities in the access to quality education. Public transfers to reduce inequality and poverty will continue to play an important role, together with stronger efforts to curb labour market informality.
9264278044 (Trade Paper)
- Audience Notes:
- Scholarly & Professional Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development
View MARC record | catkey: 30870602