Communicating effectively and meaningfully with diverse families [electronic resource] : an action oriented approach for early childhood educators / by Katia Gonzalez and Rhoda Frumkin
- Gonzalez, Katia, 1973-
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill Sense, 
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 104 pages ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Frumkin, Rhoda, 1949-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Effective communication matters -- A reflective plan of action -- Case study families and educators creating goals together -- What does your curriculum communicate? and what do you communicate about your curriculum? -- Families, teachers, and students as partners in curriculum planning -- Case study : discussion circles for empowering families - ensuring that everyone has a voice -- Discussion circles in action -- Community assets as a gateway for teacher-family partnerships -- Case study: nature walk right in our own backyard -- Storytelling as a form of communication -- Telling stories: its impact on early childhood -- Approaches to storytelling -- Storytelling to foster academic skills in children -- Family participation in storytelling at home: teachers providing suggestion -- Storytelling from wordless videos -- Case study: what is in a shoe? -- The joy of books -- Communicating ways to select culturally responsive readings -- Ways to select books: teachers and families working together -- Families and children as reading partners --Case study: teacher models practice for book selection -- Questioning, and discussion -- Communicating about diversity -- Important reflections -- Meeting the needs of diverse families in schools -- Case study of empowerment -- Reflecting on intercultural communication and cross-cultural partnerships -- How critical reflection helps when working with diverse families -- Frameworks for reflection: opportunities for action -- Case study : reflecting on multiple perspectives -- Case studies: culturally responsive practices and intentional intercultural connections/exchanges.
- 9789004368033 (pbk. : alk. paper)
9789004368026 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 30871295