The instrumental university [electronic resource] : administering modernity in the postwar United States / Ethan Schrum
- Schrum, Ethan D.
- Ithaca ; London : Cornell University Press, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (310 pages).
- Histories of American education
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction : the instrumental university and American modernity -- The progressive roots of the instrumental university : public administration, city planning, and industrial relations -- Clark Kerr : leading proponent of the instrumental university -- The urban university as community service institution : Pennsylvania in the era of Gaylord P. Harnwell -- Instruments of technical cooperation? : American universities' institution building abroad -- A use of the University of Michigan : Samuel P. Hayes, Jr. and economic development -- Founding the University of California at Irvine : high modern social science and technocratic public policy -- Epilogue : critics of the instrumental university.
- 9781501736667 and 9781501736650 (e-book)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 30873453