Vigilantism against migrants and minorities [electronic resource] / edited by Tore Bjørgo and Miroslav Mareš
- London ; New York, NY : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- xxii, 347 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Bjørgo, Tore and Mareš, Miroslav, 1974-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Vigilantism against migrants and minorities : concepts and goals of current research / Miroslav Mareš and Tore Bjørgo -- Ku Klux Klan : vigilantism against Blacks, immigrants and other minorities / Kathleen Blee and Mehr Latif -- Jewish vigilantism in the West Bank / Nir Gazit -- Protecting holy cows : Hindu vigilantism against Muslims in India / Juhi Ahuja -- Violent attacks against migrants and minorities in the Russian Federation / Martin Laryš -- Anti-immigration militias and vigilante groups in Germany : an overview / Daniel Koehler -- Vigilante militias against Roma and migrants in Hungary / Szilveszter Póczik and Eszter Sárik -- Vigilantism in Slovakia and the Czech Republic / Miroslav Mareš & Daniel Milo -- The Minutemen : patrolling and performativity along the U.S./Mexican border / Harel Shapira -- Vigilante groups against ethnic minorities and migrants in Bulgaria / Rositsa Dzhekova and Nadya Stoynova -- Vigilantism in Greece : the case of the Golden Dawn / Christos Vrakopoulos and Daphne Halikiopoulou -- Forza Nuova and the security walks : squadrismo and extreme right vigilantism in Italy / Pietro CastelliGattinara -- Beyond the hand of the state : vigilantism against migrants and minorities in France / Pietro Castelli Gattinara -- Vigilantism in the United Kingdom : Britain First and "Operation Fightback" / Elizabeth Ralph-Morrow -- The soldiers of Odin in Finland : from a local movement to international franchise / Tommi Kotonen -- Sheep in wolf's clothing? : the taming of the soldiers of Odin in Norway / Tore Bjørgo and Ingvild Magnaes Gjelsvik -- Soldiers of Odin in Canada : the failure of a transnational ideology / Yannick Veilleux-Lepage, EmilArchambault -- Pop-up vigilantism and fascist patrols in Sweden / Mattias Gardell -- Comparative perspectives on vigilantism against migrants and minorities / Tore Bjørgo and Miroslav Mareš.
- "This edited volume traces the rise of far right vigilante movements - some who have been involved in serious violence against minorities, migrants and other vulnerable groups in society, whereas other vigilantes are intimidating but avoid using violence. Written by an international team of contributors, the book features case studies from Western Europe, Eastern Europe, North America, and Asia. Each chapter is written to a common research template examining the national social and political context, the purpose of the vigilante group, how it is organised and operates, its communications and social media strategy and its relationship to mainstream social actors and institutions, and to similar groups in other countries. The final comparative chapter explores some of the broader research issues such as under which conditions such vigiliantism emerges, flourishes or fails, policing approaches, masculinity, the role of social media, responses from the state and civil society, and the evidence of transnational co-operation or inspiration. This is a groundbreaking volume which will be of particular interest to scholars with an interest in the extreme right, social movements, political violence, policing and criminology"--
- 9780429485619 hardcover
9780429485619 electronic book
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 30879263