Honor, status, and law in modern Latin America / edited by Sueann Caulfield, Sarah C. Chambers, & Lara Putnam
- Durham [N.C.] : Duke University Press, 2005.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 331 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Caulfield, Sueann
Chambers, Sarah C., 1963-
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Introduction : transformations in honor, status, and law over the long nineteenth century / Lara Putnam, Sarah C. Chambers, and Sueann Caulfield -- Private crimes, public order : honor, gender, and the law in early republican Peru / Sarah C. Chambers -- Community service, liberal law, and local custom in indigenous villages : Oaxaca, 1750-1850 / Peter Guardino -- The "spirit" of Bolivian laws : citizenship, patriarchy, and infamy / Rossana Barragán -- Interpreting Machado de Assis : paternalism, slavery, and the free womb law / Sidney Chalhoub -- Slavery, liberalism, and civil law : definitions of status and citizenship in the elaboration of the Brazilian civil code (1855-1916) / Keila Grinberg -- Trading insults : honor, violence, and the gendered culture of commerce in Cochabamba, Bolivia, 1870s-1950s / Laura Gotkowitz -- Sex and standing in the streets of Port Limón, Costa Rica, 1890-1910 / Lara Putnam -- Slandering citizens : insults, class, and social legitimacy in Rio de Janeiro's criminal courts / Brodwyn Fischer -- Courtroom tales of sex and honor : rapto and rape in late nineteenth-century Puerto Rico / Eileen J. Findlay -- The changing politics of freedom and virginity in Rio de Janeiro, 1920-1940 / Sueann Caulfield -- The plena's dissonant melodies : leisure, racial policing, and nation in Puerto Rico, 1900-1930s / José Amador de Jesús -- Prostitutes and the law : the uses of court cases over pandering in Rio de Janeiro at the beginning of the twentieth century / Christiana Schettini Pereira -- The stigmas of dishonor : criminal records, civil rights, and forensic identification in Rio de Janeiro, 1903-1940 / Olívia Maria Gomes da Cunha.
- 0822335751 (cloth : alk. paper)
0822335875 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3097854