Terrace heroes : the life and times of the 1930's professional footballer / Graham Kelly
- Kelly, Graham, 1950-
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2004.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 volume) : illustrations
- Sport in the global society
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Book Cover; Title; Contents; List of illustrations; Acknowledgements; Series editor's foreword; Professional footballers as 'terrace heroes'; The career path of professional footballers; Footballers as employees; Directors, managers, trainers and coaches; Footballers' lifestyles; Footballers and the media; Jack Atkinson -- Bolton Wanderers; Bob Baxter -- Middlesbrough; Harry Betmead -- Grimsby Town; Jack Crayston -- Arsenal; Billy Dale -- Manchester City; 'Jock' Dodds -- Sheffield United and Blackpool; Harold Hobbis -- Charlton Athletic; Joe Mercer -- Everton; Cliff Parker -- Portsmouth.
- This original book examines 1930s football in England in its social, economic and political context by focusing on 10 of the top players of the era. It sheds light on the decade that saw players taking on a public persona as 'terrace heroes, '
- 0203501020 (electronic bk.)
9780203501023 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 31176667