Newsreel. 63, El pueblo se levanta = The people are rising / Third World Newsreel presents
- Additional Titles:
- Pueblo se levanta
People are rising
- New York, N.Y. : Third World Newsreel, 1971.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (43 minutes)
- Additional Creators:
- Third World Newsreel (Firm)
- Language Note:
- In English.
- In the late '60s, conditions for Puerto Ricans in the US reached the boiling point. Faced with racial discrimination, deficient community services, and poor education and job opportunities, Puerto Rican communities began to address these injustices by using direct action. This film focuses on the community of East Harlem, capturing the compassion and militancy of the Young Lords as they implemented their own health, educational, and public assistance programs and fought back against social injustice. An excellent portrayal of inner city organizing in the late 60s.
- Young Lords Party
- Puerto Ricans—New York (State)—New York—History
- Puerto Ricans—New York (State)—New York—Social conditions
- Puerto Ricans—New York (State)—New York—Economic conditions
- Racism—New York (State)—New York
- Puerto Ricans—Political activity—History
- Puerto Ricans—Civil rights—United States
- East Harlem (New York, N.Y.)—Social conditions
- New York (N.Y.)—Ethnic relations
- New York (N.Y.)—Race relations
- New York (N.Y.)—Social conditions—20th century
- Digital File Characteristics:
- video file
- Title from resource description page (viewed May 08, 2020).
Originally produced in 1971.
View MARC record | catkey: 31182631