Fundamental neuroscience / edited by Larry R. Squire [and 5 others].
- Amsterdam ; Boston : Elsevier/Academic Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Fourth Edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxiv, 1,127 pages) : illustrations (some color)
- Additional Creators:
- Squire, Larry R.
- Language Note:
- Fundamentals of Neuroscience -- Basic Plan of the Nervous System -- Cellular Components of Nervous Tissue -- Subcellular Organization of the Nervous System: Organelles and Their Functions -- Membrane Potential and Action Potential -- Neurotransmitters -- Release of Neurotransmitters -- Neurotransmitter Receptors -- Intracellular Signaling -- Postsynaptic Potentials and Synaptic Integration -- Information Processing in Dendrites and Spines -- Brain Energy Metabolism -- Neural Induction and Pattern Formation -- Cellular Determination -- Neurogenesis and Migration -- Growth Cones and Axon Pathfinding -- Synapse Formation -- Programmed Cell Death and Neurotrophic Factors -- Synapse Elimination -- Dendritic Development -- Early Experience and Sensitive Periods -- Fundamentals of Sensory Systems -- Chemical Senses: Taste and Olfaction -- The Somatosensory System -- Audition -- Vision -- Fundamentals of Motor Systems -- The Spinal and Peripheral Motor System -- Control of Movement -- The Basal Ganglia -- Cerebellum -- Eye Movements -- The Hypothalamus: An Overview of Regulatory Systems -- Central Control of Autonomic Functions: Organization of the Autonomic Nervous System -- Neural Control of Respiratory and Cardiovascular Functions -- Food Intake and Metabolism -- Water and Salt Intake and Body Fluid Homeostasis -- Neuroendocrine Systems -- Circadian Timekeeping -- The Neurobiology of Sleep and Dreaming -- Reward, Motivation, and Addiction -- Human Brain Evolution -- Cognitive Development and Aging -- Visual Perception of Objects -- Spatial Cognition -- Attention -- Learning and Memory: Basic Mechanisms -- Learning and Memory: Brain Systems -- Language -- The Prefrontal Cortex and Executive Brain Functions -- The Neuroscience of Consciousness.
- The fourth edition of this text reinvents itself as an engrossing and comprehensive presentation of the discipline of neuroscience, from molecules to cognition. Thorough but succinct, and lavishly illustrated, the book builds from an introductory section that includes fundamental neuroanatomy and goes on to cover cellular and molecular neuroscience, development, sensory systems, motor systems, regulatory systems, and behavioral and cognitive neuroscience. The book has been retooled to better serve its audience in the neuroscience and medical communities. The chapters include more than 100 boxes describing clinical conditions, techniques, and other special topics. Each chapter went through a thorough review process, giving the book an evenness of tone. The chapters are authored by outstanding working scientists who are experts on the topics they cover. 30% new material including new chapters on Dendritic Development and Spine Morphogenesis, Chemical Senses, Cerebellum, Eye Movements, Circadian Timing, Sleep and Dreaming, and Consciousness. Additional text boxes describing key experiments, disorders, methods, and concepts. More than 650 four-color illustrations, micrographs, and neuroimages. Multiple model system coverage beyond rats, mice, and monkeys. Extensively expanded index for easier referencing.
- 9780123858719 (electronic bk.)
0123858712 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 31201609