Don't get too comfortable [sound recording] : [the indignities of coach class, the torments of low thread count, the never-ending quest for artisanal olive oil and other first world problems] / David Rakoff
- Rakoff, David
- New York : Random House Audio, 
- Copyright Date:
- Unabridged selections.
- Physical Description:
- 4 audio discs (4.5 hr.) : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- Love it or leave it -- What is the sound of one hand shopping? -- Sesión privada -- As it is in heaven -- J.D.V. M.I.A. -- Privates on parade -- Martha, my dear -- I can't get it for you wholesale -- Beat me, Daddy -- Faster -- Off we're gonna shuffle.
- "David Rakoff's bestselling collection of autobiographical essays, Fraud, established him as one of today's funniest and most insightful writers. Now, in Don't Get Too Comfortable, Rakoff moves from the personal to the public, journeying into the land of unchecked plenty that is contemporary America. Rarely have greed, vanity, selfishness, and vapidity been so mercilessly and wittily skewered. Somewhere along the line, our healthy self-regard has exploded into obliterating narcissism ; our manic getting and spending have now become celebrated as moral virtues. Whether contrasting the elegance of one of the last flights of the supersonic Concorde with the good-times-and-chicken-wings of Hooters Air, or traveling to a private island off the coast of Belize to watch a soft-core video shoot, where he is provided with his very own personal manservant, Rakoff takes us on a bitingly funny grand tour of our culture of excess. He comes away from his explorations hilariouosly horrified. At once a Wildean satire of our ridiculous culture of overconsumption and a plea for a little human decency, Don't Get Too Comfortable shows that far from being bobos in paradise, we're in a special circle of gilded-age hell" -- container.
Essays on overconsumption in the current culture of excess.
- Compact disc.
Subtitle from container.
Description based on surrogate.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Read by the author.
View MARC record | catkey: 3124716