The Jay Treaty debate, public opinion, and the evolution of early American political culture / Todd Estes
- Estes, Todd, 1963-
- Amherst : University of Massachusetts Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 267 pages ; 24 cm.
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Political development of the American nation
- England, France, and the foreign context of American politics -- Federalists, Republicans, and popular politics in the early 1790s -- The firestorm and the counterattack : first soundings in the public debate -- The words of tongue and pen : the rhetorical war over the Jay Treaty -- Petitions, instructions, and the duties of citizens and representatives -- The final push : the debate in Congress and out-of-doors -- Reflections on the debate.
- 1558495150 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 219-263) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3147671