Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios / Laurenfilm, El Deseo, S. A. presentan ; un film de Pedro Almodóvar ; guión y dirección, Pedro Almodóvar
- Language Note:
- In Spanish ; with English subtitles.
- Creating "one of the jauntiest of all war-of-all-sexes comedies" (Pauline Kael), Pedro Almodóvar, Spain's premiere writer-director, creates an off-kilter universe of madness, mayhem and pure fun. Nominated for the 1988 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, and co-starring Antonio Banderas, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown is a "wild, wanton, wickedly witty farce! (People)" High atop one of Spain's poshest penthouses, three women have come to the end of their mental ropes. Super-sexy Pepa (Carmen Maura) is forever teetering around atop her skyscraper spikes as she obsesses over Iván (Fernando Guillén), the lover who just jilted her over the answering machine! Her neurotic best friend Candela (María Barranco) is seeking refuge at Pepa's place because she recently realized her lover is a Shiite terrorist. And Iván's ex-wife Lucía (Julieta Serrano) was just released from a 20-year stint in a mental institution. They're all mighty mad - in fact, they're on the verge of a nervous breakdown ... and one of them is about to commit murder unless the other half-crazed femme fatales can stop her!
- Digital File Characteristics:
- data file
- Title from resource description page (viewed January 03, 2017).
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Carmen Maura, Antonio Banderas, Julieta Serrano, María Barranco, Fernando Guillén, Rossy de Palma, Kiti Manver, Guilleromo Montesinos, Chus Lampreave, Yayo Calvo, Loles León, Angel de Andrés-López.
- 2nd place 1989 National Society of Film Critics Awards, Best Actress
2nd place 1989 National Society of Film Critics Awards, Best Film
Won 1988 New York Film Critics Circle Awards, Best Foreign Language Film
3rd place 1988 New York Film Critics Circle Awards, Best Actress
Nominated 1990 BAFTA Awards, Best Film not in the English Language
Nominated 1989 Golden Globes, Best Foreign Language Film
View MARC record | catkey: 31500454