Studying sites of discipline [electronic resource] : critical interpretive fieldwork and the U.S. prison system / Mary Rachel Gould
- Gould, Mary Rachel
- London : SAGE Publications Ltd, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- SAGE Research Methods. Cases
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- This case study is designed for students who are considering using critical interpretive methods to conduct participant-observation fieldwork and particularly for students who want to do this work at sites that are politically or culturally contested spaces. Drawing upon more than a decade of experience conducting ethnographic fieldwork at historic and functioning prison throughout the United States, this essay articulates a framework for addressing significant political issues/topics in research practice and how to negotiate the challenges and opportunities associated with working "in the field." Students with a curiosity about the lived experience of others, a desire to explore a new environment, a flexible approach to applying research methods, and an interest in generating holistically informed ideas about culture will likely find critical interpretive fieldwork an appeal methodology. This case study is written for students at varying levels (undergraduate to graduate).
- 9781526440884 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 31509688