The Turnips [electronic resource] : a study in leadership / Joel White
- White, Joel, active 2012
- London : Human Kinetics, Inc., 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- SAGE Knowledge. Cases
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- The behavior of Grover Flanks, manager of the Topeka Turnips (a fictional Minor League affiliate of the Kansas City Royals), has become a worry for the owners of the team. Flanks, a local hero, has gone from hometown attraction to on-field distraction for the Turnips. For Flanks, profane, on-field tirades are commonplace, and rule-breaking is the norm. The manager's bad behavior is threatening the owners' ability to secure financing for a lucrative new stadium. However, Flanks is extremely popular with the fans and is the sole reason many fans come to see the mediocre club, so firing the manager is not an option. The owners are understandably worried.Gene Meebles is the young general manager of the Turnips who has been tasked by the owners to put an end to the Flanks problem and save the stadium deal. Meebles must find a way to relate to the fiery manager and curb his behavior. This case study examines how Meebles can do so using transactional and/or transformational leadership.
- 9781526435262 (ebook)
- Originally published in White, J. (2012). The Turnips: A study in leadership. Case Studies in Sport Management, 1(1), 7-9. DOI:.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 31509830