Why politicians retire? the hidden costs in collecting secondary data [electronic resource] / Benjamin Melusky
- Melusky, Benjamin
- London : SAGE Publications Ltd, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- SAGE Research Methods. Cases
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- While textbooks present secondary data as being less costly, more readily available, and more easily accessible than primary data, there exist numerous hidden costs resulting from the variation across sources in terms of the availability/accessibility of data, how/if the information was presented, and how/if the information was maintained. However, there is no guide or standard detailing how to go about systematically locating or collecting secondary data. This presents a challenge to researchers, often those early in their careers when they lack the necessary resources and training, who are thus enticed by the advertised benefits of these data. This case relates to my PhD research concerning the retirement of legislators in the American states and focuses on my efforts to overcome the challenges associated with searching for and retrieving secondary data. It suggests that a thoroughly developed data collection plan which employs advances in Internet search technologies can facilitate the collection of secondary data both within and across a variety of diverse units.
- 9781526464385 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 31510318