Tough love for schools : essays on competition, accountability, and excellence / Frederick M. Hess
- Hess, Frederick M.
- Washington, D.C. : AEI Press, 
Blue Ridge Summit, PA : Distributed to the trade by National Book Network.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 280 pages ; 24 cm
- Seeking the mantle of "opportunity": presidential politics and the educational metaphor / with Patrick McGuinn -- Retooling K-12 giving -- Making sense of the "public" in public education -- What is a "public school"?: principles for a new century -- The case for being mean -- The political challenge of charter school regulation -- The work ahead -- Choice is not enough -- Inclusive ambiguity -- "Trust us," they explained: racial distrust and school reform -- School vouchers and suburbanites -- The voice of the people -- Tear down this wall -- A license to lead? -- Ready to lead? -- The predictable, but unpredictably personal, politics of teacher licensure -- Lessons from San Diego -- Science and nonscience: the limits of scientific research -- Technical difficulties -- On leaving no child behind / with Chester E. Finn Jr.
- 0844742112 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Delaware copy: Purchased with funds from the John D. Vairo Libraries Endowment; 20056.
- Endowment Note:
- John D. Vairo Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 3168605