Global perspectives on ADHD [electronic resource] : social dimensions of diagnosis and treatment in sixteen countries / edited by Meredith R. Bergey, Angela M. Filipe, Peter Conrad, Ilina Singh
- Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- x, 400 pages : illustrations, map ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Bergey, Meredith R., 1980-, Filipe, Angela M., 1983-, Conrad, Peter, 1945-, and Singh, Ilina
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- ADHD in global context : an introduction / Meredith R. Bergey and Angela M. Filipe -- The rise and transformation of ADHD in the United States / Meredith R. Bergey and Peter Conrad -- In the elephant's shadow : the Canadian ADHD context / Claudia Malacrida and Tiffani Semach -- Historical, cultural and socio-political influences on Australia's response to ADHD / Brenton J. Prosser and Linda J. Graham -- The medicalization of Fidgety Philip : ADHD in Germany / Fabian Karsch -- ADHD in the United Kingdom : conduct, class, and stigma / Ilina Singh -- The emergence and shaping of ADHD in Portugal : ambiguities of a diagnosis "In the making" / Angela M. Filipe -- Transformations in the Irish ADHD disorder regime--from a disorder "You have to fight to get" to "You have to wait to get" / Claire Edwards and Orla O'Donovan -- The journey of ADHD in Argentina : from the increase in methylphenidate use to tensions among health professionals / Silvia A. Faraone and Eugenia Bianchi -- Academic and professional tensions and debates around ADHD in Brazil / Francisco Ortega, Rafaela Zorzanelli, and Valeria Portugal Goncalves -- ADHD in the Italian context : children in the midst of social and political debates / Alessandra Frigerio and Lorenzo Montali -- The French ADHD landscape : maintaining and dealing with multiple uncertainties / Madeleine Akrich and Vololona Rabeharisoa -- ADHD in Japan : a sociological perspective / Mari J. Armstrong-Hough -- Pictures of ADHD in Japan : epidemiology, treatments, and cultural influences / Yasuo Murayama, Hiroyuki Ito, Junko Teruyama, and Masatsugu Tsujii -- Pharmaceuticalizing through government funding activities : the case of ADHD in New Zealand / Manuel Vallee -- From problematic children to problematic diagnosis : the paradoxical trajectories of child and adolescent ADHD in Chile / Sebastian Rojas Navarro, Patricio Rojas, and Monica Pena Ochoa -- The development of child psychiatry and the (bio)medicalization of ADHD in Taiwan / Fan Tzu Tseng -- Exploring the ADHD diagnosis in Ghana : between disrespect and lack of institutionalization / Christian Broer, Rachel Spronk, and Victor Kraak -- Reflections on ADHD in a global context / Peter Conrad and Ilina Singh.
- 9781421423791 (paperback : alk. paper)
1421423790 (paperback : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 31844743