The key to the door [electronic resource] : experiences of early African American students at the University of Virginia / edited by Maurice Apprey and Shelli M. Poe
- Charlottesville ; London : University of Virginia Press, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 192 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Apprey, Maurice, 1947- and Poe, Shelli M.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Higher education for the public good / Deborah McDowell -- Perseverance and resilience: African Americans at the University of Virginia / Ervin L. Jordan, Jr. -- The only one in the room: U.Va. Law School, 1955-1958 / John F. Merchant -- Becoming a doctor in a segregated world / William Womack -- Life on Mr. Jefferson's plantation / Aubrey Jones -- Looking back / Barbara S. Favazza -- An interview with Teresa Walker Price and Evelyn Yancey Jones / Maurice Apprey and Shelli M. Poe -- A son of the South: an African American public servant / David Temple -- U.Va.: An essential experience / Willis B. McLeod -- An interview with Vivian W. Pinn / Maurice Apprey -- Opening the door: Reflection and a call to action for an inclusive academic community / Shelli M. Poe, Patrice Preston-Grimes, Marcus L. Martin, and Meghan S. Faulkner -- Strategies for creating a sense of place and high achievement / Maurice Apprey.
- 9780813939865 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 31852349