From ascending rooms to express elevators : a history of the passenger elevator in the 19th century / by Lee E. Gray
- Gray, Lee Edward, 1958-
- Additional Titles:
- History of the passenger elevator in the 19th century
- Mobile, AL : Elevator World, Inc., 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- viii, 316 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Introduction -- Technological origins: freight hoists in England and America, 1800-1860 -- Ascending rooms and vertical railways: the passenger elevator, 1800-1860 -- An emerging industry. Part 1. Mechanical refinements and expanded use: freight and passenger elevators in the 1860s -- New settings and new problems: the elevator and the early skyscraper, 1870 to 1875 -- An emerging industry. Part 2. The hydraulic elevator, 1870 to 1900 -- An emerging industry. Part 3. New technology, old ideas and innovations: the electric elevator, 1880 to 1900 -- From ascending rooms to express elevators: the elevator and the skyscraper, 1880 to 1900 -- The amelioration of elevator accidents: safety, the public and the elevator industry in the 19th century.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 293-311) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Architecture copy: Purchased with funds from the Elmer F. and Thelma Y. Hinner Libraries Endowment; 20056.
- Action Note:
- committed to retain 20170930 20430101 HathiTrust https://www.hathitrust.org/shared_print_program
View MARC record | catkey: 3194731