"Circumstances are destiny" : an Antebellum woman's struggle to define sphere / Tina Stewart Brakebill
- Brakebill, Tina Stewart, 1962-
- Kent, Ohio : Kent State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xx, 255 pages : illustrations, map ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Colby, Celestia Rice, 1827-1900. Selections
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Civil war in the North
- 1827-1848 : "The impress of the Connecticut character" -- 1848-1853 : "It is my first desire to be a blessing to my husband and-- train up my child in the way of virtue and religion" -- 1853-1857 : "Her influence at home-- may sway the destinies of the world" -- October 1857-January 1858 : "I sometimes think my whole being is changed" -- December 1857-May 1858 : "Yet I live a life they know not of" -- June 1858-December 1858 : "Eleven years ago to day since I took upon myself the cares of a housekeeper" -- November 1858-November 1859 : "I wish for a 'bright little isle' to be peopled with the good, the loving, the gifted" -- November 1859-February 1861 : "I am accomplishing nothing" -- February 1861-November 1861 : "Dark and fearful must be the struggle" -- September 1861-December 1862 : "He is the true patriot-- whose patriotism is only another term for the love of truth, justice and humanity" -- September 1862-April 1865 : "And we women-- can only wait, and wait" -- February 1865-July 1900 : "If I only could leave behind all the darkness-- and forget the past".
- Colby, Celestia Rice, 1827-1900
- Women—Ohio—Cherry Valley (Ashtabula County)—History—19th century
- Cherry Valley (Ashtabula County, Ohio)—Biography
- Cherry Valley (Ashtabula County, Ohio)—Social conditions—19th century
- Ohio—History—Civil War, 1861-1865—Social aspects
- Ohio—History—Civil War, 1861-1865—Women
- United States—History—Civil War, 1861-1865—Social aspects
- United States—History—Civil War, 1861-1865—Women
- 087338864X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Originally presented as the author's thesis (master's)--Illinois State University, Normal, Ill., 2002.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 225-250) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3195368