Benny Goodman presents Fletcher Henderson arrangements / Benny Goodman and his orchestra
- Goodman, Benny, 1909-1986
- [New York] : Columbia, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 audio disc : analog, 33 1/3 rpm, mono ; 12 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Henderson, Fletcher, 1897-1952, Avakian, George, Ormandy, Eugene, 1899-1985, Ward, Helen, 1916-1998, Goodman, Benny, 1909-1986, Griffin, Chris, 1915-2005, Elman, Ziggy, Cornelius, Corky, 1914-1943, Maxwell, Jim, 1917-2002, Martel, Johnny (Trumpeter), Fila, Alec, Goodman, Irving, Williams, Cootie, Badale, Vince, Fasulo, Tony, Le Pinto, Frank, Butterfield, Billy, 1917-1988, Robinson, Les, 1914-2005, Mondello, Toots, Estes, Buff, Bassey, Bus, Jerome, Jerry, 1912-2001, Bivona, Gus, Martin, Skip, Snyder, Bob (Saxophonist), Auld, Georgie, 1919-1990, Henderson Jack (Saxophonist), Shertzer, Hymie, Shine, Bill (Saxophonist), Sanfino, Jerry, Epstein, Al (Saxophonist), Bank, Danny, Yaner, Milt, Richmond, Boomie, Klink, Al, Ballard, Red, Squires, Bruce (Trombonist), Brown, Vernon, 1907-1979, Vesely, Ted, McGarity, Lou, Gingler, Red, Cutshall, Cutty, Young, Trummy, Welsch, Chauncey, 1927-2008, Aulino, Eddie, Covarrubias, Arnold, Christian, Charlie, 1916-1942, Bryan, Mike, 1916-1972, Galbraith, Barry, Bernstein, Artie, 1909-1964, Stewart, Slam, Safranski, Eddie, 1918-1974, Fatool, Nick, 1915-2000, Jaeger, Harry, Feld, Morey, 1915-1971, Lamond, Don, Guarnieri, Johnny, 1917-1985, Leighton, Bernie, 1921-1994, Queener, Charles, Benny Goodman Orchestra, and Philadelphia Orchestra
- Honeysuckle rose / A. Razaf-F. Waller -- I'll never say "Never again" again / H. Woods -- Somebody stole my gal / L. Wood -- Frenesi / A. Dominguez -- Just you, just me / R. Klages-J. Greer -- Stealin' apples / T. Waller-A. Razaf -- What a little moonlight can do / H. Woods -- Night and day (from "The gay divorcee") / Cole Porter -- Crazy rhythm (from "Here's how") / I. Caesar-J. Meyer-R. Kahn -- You're a heavenly thing / J. Young-Little -- Can't you tell? / B. Goodman -- Henderson stomp / F. Henderson.
- This album pays hommage to the Goodman recorded works by arranger, composer and pianist Fletcher Henderson, who passed away in 1952.
- Related Titles:
- Honeysuckle rose
I'll never say "Never again" again
Somebody stole my gal
Just you, just me.
What a little moonlight can do.
Night and day
You're a heavenly thing
Can't you tell?
- Sound Characteristics:
- 33 1/3 rpm
- Title from disc label and container.
Biographical and program notes by George Avakian on container.
The Dan Yoder Jazz LP Collection
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Helen Ward, vocals (2nd, 7th and 10th works) ; Benny Goodman and his orchestra (1st, 3rd-6th, 8th-9th, 11th-12th works): Benny Goodman, clarinet (all works) and conductor ; Chris Griffin, Ziggy Elman, Corky Cornelius, Jimmy Maxwell, Johnny Martel, Alec Fila, Irving Goodman, Cootie Williams, Vince Badale, Tony Fasulo, Frank Le Pinto and Billy Butterfield, trumpets ; Les Robinson, alto saxophone (3rd work only) ; Toots Mondello, Buff Estes, Bus Bassey, Jerry Jerome, Gus Bivona, Skippy Martin, Bob Snyder, George Auld, Jack Henderson, Hymie Shertzer, Bill Shine, Gerald Safino, Al Epstein, Dan Bank, Milt Yaner, Boomie Richmond and Al Klink, saxophones ; Red Ballard, Bruce Squires, Vernon Brown, Ted Veseley, Lou McGarity, Red Gingler, Bob Cutshall, Trummy Young, Chauncey Welsh and Eddie Aulino, trombones ; Arnold Covarrubias, Charlie Christian, Mike Bryan and Barry Galbraith, guitars ; Artie Bernstein, Slam Stewart, and Eddie Safranski, [double] basses ; Nick Fatool, Harry Jaeger, Morey Feld, and Don Lamond, drums ; Fletcher Henderson, Johnny Guarnieri, Bernie Leighton and Charlie Queener, pianos. The Philadelphia Orchestra ; Eugene Ormandy, conductor (2nd, 7th, and 10th works).
- Data/Place of Event:
- Originally recorded [New York, New York] 1939 August 11 (6th work) ; 1939 August 13 (8th work) ; 1939 November 22 (1st work) ; 1940 January 16 (11th work) ; 1940 April 16 (9th work) ; 1940 November 13 (12th work) ; 1940 November 29 (4th work) ; 1940 December 20 (3rd work) ; 1945 August 29 (5th work) ; 1953 Feburary 23 (2nd, 7th and 10th works).
View MARC record | catkey: 32173834