Sex matters : how male-centric medicine endangers women's health and what we can do about it / Alyson J. McGregor, MD, MA, FACEP
- McGregor, Alyson J.
- Additional Titles:
- How male-centric medicine endangers women's health and what we can do about it
- New York : Hachette Go, an imprint of Hachette Books, 2020.
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 254 pages ; 24 cm
- Introduction -- Part One: How we got here. Modern medicine is male-centric medicine -- Sex is more than skin deep -- Part Two: The six biggest issues facing women's health today. Women's hearts (and brains) break differently -- Drugs for different bodies: The female side of pharmaceuticals -- "Honey, it's all in your head": Women's intuition versus women's imagination -- A deeper sensitivity: The female relationship to pain -- Beyond hormonal: Female biochemistry and hormone therapy -- A new perception: Gender, culture, and identity medicine -- Part Three: Where we're headed and what you can do. A changing conversation: The future of sex and gender research in medicine -- Your voice, your medicine: How to have helpful conversations with your providers -- Afterword -- Acknowledgments -- Appendix A: Your personal medical reconciliation (Med Rec) -- Appendix B: Quick reference questions.
- Exposes that all medical models -- in research and practice -- are male-centric and shows how the biological, biochemical, psychological, and neurological differences between men and women affect issues such as preventative care, emergency care, drug prescriptions, and pain management. Also looks at how race, class, and gender identity are disproportionately affected by this.
- 9780738246765 hardcover
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 221-223) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 32174835