Grassroots leviathan : agricultural reform and the rural North in the slaveholding republic / Ariel Ron
- Ron, Ariel, 1978-
- Baltimore, Maryland : Johns Hopkins University Press, 2020.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 308 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Studies in early American economy and society from the library company of Philadelphia
- "Author Ron traces how middle-class farmers in the "Greater Northeast" built a movement of semi-public agricultural societies, fairs, and periodicals that, together, fundamentally recast the relationship of rural people to market forces and governing structures. A novelty of his historical interpretation is that he posits agrarian reform in the North as an antithesis to the slaveholding South rather than industrialization as has been traditionally juxtaposed with the South's plantation economy"--
- 9781421439327 hardcover and 1421439328 hardcover
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 32183687