Transforming towards life-centered economics : how business, government, and civil society can build a better world / Sandra Waddock
- Waddock, Sandra A.
- New York, New York (222 East 46th Street, New York, NY 10017) : Business Expert Press, 2020.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiv, 188 pages) : illustrations (some color).
- Restrictions on Access:
- Access restricted to authorized users and institutions.
- Chapter 1. What is wrong? -- Chapter 2. Look in the mirror: self-induced systemic crises -- Chapter 3. Neoliberalism and the need for transformation -- Chapter 4. Stories, narratives, and memes: foundations of cultural mythologies -- Chapter 5. Accomplishing transformational system change -- Chapter 6. Emerging a life-centered worldview -- Chapter 7. Towards flourishing life and creating collective value -- Chapter 8. Stewardship of the whole: beyond sustainability to flourishing -- Chapter 9. New economies oriented towards life -- Chapter 10. So what? What's next? What can you do?
- Transforming towards life orients change agents, policy makers, activists, business leaders, ecologists, economists, and thoughtful people everywhere to the values and practices needed to build a world where all can flourish, where "all" includes all humanity and all of life's beings. It provides an in-depth understanding of what it will take, especially in the wake of the global Covid-19 pandemic and the burgeoning climate emergency, to transform today's growth- and profit-oriented socioeconomic systems to life-affirming ways benefit all rather than just an elite few. Transforming towards life argues that to move towards a world in which all can flourish, we all need to start telling new, yet very ancient, stories about who we are and why we are here in the world--stories built on relationship or connectedness, responsibility for the whole, reciprocity, and equity. We need to incorporate core ideas about what gives life to systems into all businesses, communities, governments, and other types of organizations--that is, what helps them flourish. Business and other institutions need to create collective value, that is, value for all, and change the mindsets of people engaged with them so that they in turn can generate new performance metrics, practices, and power relationships that enable people everywhere to find their voice and their capacity to participate actively in bringing about a flourishing world. The book concludes with thoughts about how each one of us can do our bit to bring about this necessary transformation.
- Other Subject(s):
- 9781952538711 e-book
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in print.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
System requirements: Adobe Acrobat reader.
View MARC record | catkey: 32487449