- Language Note:
- In English.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Frontmatter -- Contents -- Acknowledgments -- Foreword: A Maimonidean Kabbalist -- I Introduction: Secrecy and Maimonideanism -- II Abraham Abulafia's Studies and Teaching -- III Persecution and Secrets -- IV The Parable of the Pearl and its Interpretations -- V Abulafia's Kabbalah versus other Kabbalists -- VI Appendices -- Abbreviations -- Bibliography -- Index of Sources -- Index of Names and Places -- Subject Index
- The book focuses on Abraham Abulafia's esoteric thought in relation to Maimonides, Maimonideans, and Islamic thought in the line of Leo Strauss' theory of the history of philosophy. The book surveys Abulafia's sources and concentrates on the esoteric meaning on the famous parable of the three rings, as well as Abulafia's universalistic understanding of the nature of the Bible, the Hebrew language, the people of Israel or the Sinatic revelation.
This book focuses on Abraham Abulafia's esoteric thought in relation to Maimonides, Maimonideans, and Islamic thought in the line of Leo Strauss' theory of the history of philosophy. A survey of Abulafia's sources leads into an analysis of the esoteric meaning on the famous parable of the three rings, considering also the possible connection between this parable, which Abdulafia inserted into a book dedicated to his student, the 13th century rabbi Nathan the wise, and the Lessing's Play "Nathan the Wise." The book also examines Abulafia's universalistic understanding of the nature of the Bible, the Hebrew language, and the people of Israel (or the Sinaic revelation). The universal aspects of Abulafia's thought have been put in relief against the more widespread Kabbalistic views which are predominantly particularistic. A number of texts have also been identified here for the first time as authored by Abulafia.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Part Of:
- Title is part of eBook package
DG Ebook Package 2020
DG Ebook Package English 2020
De Gruyter English eBooks 2020 - UC
EBOOK PACKAGE COMPLETE 2020 English
EBOOK PACKAGE COMPLETE 2020
EBOOK PACKAGE History 2020 English
EBOOK PACKAGE History 2020
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
- This eBook is made available Open Access under a CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0 https://www.degruyter.com/dg/page/open-access-policy
View MARC record | catkey: 32532485