The American universal geography, or, A view of the present state of all the empires, kingdoms, states, and republics in the known world, and of the United States in particular [electronic resource] : In two parts. ... The whole comprehending a complete and improved system of modern geography. Calculated for Americans. Illustrated with twenty-eight maps and charts. By Jedidiah Morse, D.D. Minister of the congregation in Charlestown. Published according to act of Congress. Part I[-II].
- Morse, Jedidiah, 1761-1826
- Uniform Title:
- American universal geography
- Printed at Boston : By Isaiah Thomas and Ebenezer T. Andrews. Sold at their bookstore, Faust's Statue, no. 45, Newbury Street; by said Thomas, in Worcester; by S. Campbell, in New York; by M. Carey, in Philadelphia; by Thomas, Andrews and Butler, in Baltimore; and by other booksellers in different parts of the United States, June, 1796.
- Third edition, corrected and considerably enlarged. The introduction revised and amended by Samuel Webber, A.M. Hollis Prof. of Math. and Nat. Philos. in the University of Cambridge.
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations, maps ; 8⁰.
- Vol 2 has edition statement "Second edition of this volume." Part 1 was first published separately in 1789 as The American geography (Evans 21978); parts 1 and 2 were first published together, without edition statement, in 1793.
Plates engraved by Amos Doolittle and Samuel Hill. Cartographers include Harding Harris, J. Denison, and Cyrus Harris.
Vol. 1: xiv, , 18-64, (57)-(64), , 66-808 p.,  leaves of plates (11 folded); v. 2: iv, 692 p.,  folded leaves of plates.
Reproduction of original from the British Library.
Available online to authorized PSU users as part of the History and geography series of Eighteenth century collections online.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Thomson Gale, 2003. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Evans, C. American bibliography, 30823
Evans, C. American bibliography, 30824
English Short Title Catalog, ESTCW31209.
View MARC record | catkey: 3253906