Emergence and diversity of modern human behavior in paleolithic Asia [electronic resource] / edited by Yousuke Kaifu, Masami Izuho, Ted Goebel, Hiroyuki Sato, and Akira Ono
- College Station : Texas A&M University Press, 2015.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- x, 580 pages : illustrations ; 29 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Kaifu, Yōsuke, 1969- and Symposium on the Emergence and Diversity of Modern Human Behavior in Palaeolithic Asia (2011 : Tokyo, Japan)
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- General background: modern human behavior in the Paleolithic world -- Some key issues in the emergence and diversity of 'modern' human behavior / Paul Mellars -- Early modern human dispersal in central and eastern Europe / Jiří Svoboda -- Human migrations and adaptations in Asia inferred from genome diversity / Ryosuke Kimura -- Migration and the origins of Homo sapiens / Peter Bellwood -- South Asia -- Modern human emergence in South Asia: a review of the fossil and genetic evidence / Sheela Athreya -- Antiquity of modern humans and behavioral modernity in the Indian subcontinent: implications of the Jwalapuram evidence / Ravi Korisettar -- Genes, stone tools, and modern humans, dispersal in the center of the Old World / Parth R. Chauhan, Shantanu Ozarkar, and Shaunak Kulkarni -- Southeast Asia -- Hoabinhians: a key population with which to debate the peopling of Southeast Asia / Hirofumi Matsumura, Marc F. Oxenham, and Nguyen Lan Cuong -- First archaeological evidence of symbolic activities from the Pleistocene of Vietnam / Nguyen Viet -- Reconstructing late Pleistocene climates, landscapes, and human activities in northern Borneo from excavations in the Niah Caves / Tim Reynolds and Graeme Barker -- Tracking evidence for modern human behavior in Paleolithic Indonesia / Truman Simanjuntak, François Sémah, and Anne-Marie Sémah -- Human emergence and adaptation to an island environment in the Philippine Paleolithic / Armand S. Mijares -- Detecting traits of modern behavior through microwear analysis: a case study from the Philippine terminal Pleistocene / Alfred F. Pawlik -- Wallacea and Australia -- Maritime migration and lithic assemblage on Talaud islands in northern Wallacea during the late Pleistocene / Rintaro Ono, Naoki Nakajima, Hiroe Nishizawa, Shizuo Oda, and Santoso Soegondho -- Crossing the Wallace line: the maritime skills of the earliest colonists in the Wallacean archipelago / Sue O'Connor -- Cultural diversification and the global dispersion of Homo sapiens: lessons from Australia / Peter Hiscock -- East Asia mainland and Taiwan -- Chang-pin culture of Paleolithic Taiwan and its related problems / Chao-mei Lien -- New evidence of modern human behavior in Paleolithic central China / Youping Wang -- Handaxes in the Imjin River basin, Korea: implications for late Pleistocene hominin evolution in East Asia / Seonbok Yi -- The characteristics of upper Paleolithic industries in Korea: innovation, continuity, and interaction / Gikil Lee -- East Asia Japanese archipelago -- The appearance and characteristics of the early upper Paleolithic in the Japanese archipelago / Masami Izuho -- Paleovegetation during MIS 3 in the east Asia / Hikaru Takahara and Ryoma Hayashi -- Further study on the late Pleistocene megafaunal extinction in the Japanese archipelago / Akira Iwase, Keiichi Takahashi, and Masami Izuho -- Pleistocene seafaring and colonization of the Ryuku Islands, southwestern Japan / Yousuke Kaifu, Masaki Fujita, Minoru Yoneda, and Shinji Yamasaki -- Maritime transport of obsidian in Japan during the upper Paleolithic / Nobuyuki Ikeya -- Appearance of Hakuhen-Sentoki (HS points) and second modern human migration into Kyushu, Japan / Kazuki Morisaki -- Trap-pit hunting in late Pleistocene Japan / Hiroyuki Sato -- Further analyses of Hokkaido Jōmon mitochondrial DNA / Noboru Adachi, Ken-ichi Shinoda, and Masami Izuho -- On the processes of diversification in microblade technocomplexes in the late glacial Hokkaido / Yuichi Nakazawa and Satoru Yamada -- Siberia -- The overland dispersal of modern humans to eastern Asia / Ted Goebel -- The Paleolithic peopling of Mongolia: an updated assessment / Jacques Jaubert -- Middle and upper Paleolithic interactions and the emergence of 'modern behavior' in southern Siberia and Mongolia / Evgeny P. Rybin -- The emergence of modern behavior in the Transbaikal, Russia: timing and technology / Ian Buvit -- Modern human response to the last glacial maximum in Siberia / Kelly E. Graf -- Summary and conclusions -- Modern human dispersal and behavior in Paleolithic Asia: summary and discussion / Yousuke Kaifu, Masami Izuho, and Ted Goebel.
- 9781623492762 (cloth : alk. paper) and 9781623492779 (e-book)
- "Peopling of the Americas publications." and "Arising from a 2011 symposium sponsored by the National Museum of Nature and Science in Tokyo, this manuscript gathers the work of archaeologists from the Pacific Rim of Asia, Australia, and North America, seeking to address the relative lack of attention given to the emergence of modern human behavior as manifested in Asia during the worldwide dispersal from Africa."--Data view.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 32543411