Let's talk [electronic resource] : navigating communication services and supports for your young child with autism / by Rhea Paul, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, Sacred Heart University, Fairfield, Connecticut and Donia Fahim, Ph.D., New York University, New York, New York
- Paul, Rhea
- Baltimore : Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co., 
- Physical Description:
- xi, 223 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Fahim, Donia
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- "Communication is often a parent's number-one concern when a young child is diagnosed with autism. With so many interventions available, how can families be sure they're choosing the best option for their child? This accessible, straightforward book gives you the practical knowledge that you need to evaluate communication therapies and treatments--and make sound decisions rooted in evidence-based practice. A practical resource from trusted experts on autism and communication, this book covers everything from autism fundamentals to the specifics of developing an individualized treatment plan for children birth to five. With the research-based knowledge and real-world guidance in these pages, you will be a well-informed advocate ready to provide the best support for your child on the spectrum. THIS BOOK HELPS YOU: arm yourselves with essential knowledge about autism and how it's diagnosed understand the range of social communication behaviors you might see in your child learn the how and why of developmental assessments choose evidence-based treatments and interventions that address your child's specific communication needs support your child's development of key skills, such as motor imitation, joint attention, play, and spontaneous communication make the most of available educational services, including IEPs and IFSPs partner effectively with SLPs, OTs, special educators, and paraprofessionals navigate the complex emotions associated with a child's autism diagnosis PRACTICAL MATERIALS: A sample Functional Behavior Analysis (FBA) Form, a Setting Events-Antecedent-Behavior-Consequence Chart (SABC), helpful glossaries of educational terms and evidence-based practice terms, sample Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP)"-- and "In this book, the authors position themselves as advocates and educators for parents who need emotional and clinical guidance in order to navigate their child's autism spectrum disorder (ASD) diagnosis and treatment plan. The book aids parents in understanding the basics of ASD, the roles of various professionals who address communication problems, as well as the treatment delivery systems and critical target skills (e.g., motor imitation, joint attention, play, spontaneous communication) for improving communication for children with ASD. The goal is to offer resources that help parents and their children become well adjusted, well informed, and equipped to face the challenges that come with having a child with ASD"--
- 9781598571202 (paperback) and 9781681250359 (pdf e-book)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 207-216) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 32552870