Medicine in ancient Assur [electronic resource] : a microhistorical study of the Neo-Assyrian healer Kiṣir-Aššur / Troels Pank Arbøll
- Arbøll, Troels Pank
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Ancient magic and divination, 15667952 ; vol.18
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- "In Medicine in Ancient Assur Troels Pank Arbøll offers a microhistorical study of a single exorcist named Kiṣir-Aššur who practiced medical and magical healing in the ancient city of Assur (modern northern Iraq) in the 7th century BCE. The book provides the first detailed analysis of a healer's education and practice in ancient Mesopotamia based on at least 73 texts assigned to specific stages of his career. By drawing on a microhistorical framework, the study aims at significantly improving our understanding of the functional aspects of texts in their specialist environment. Furthermore, the work situates Kiṣir-Aššur as one of the earliest healers in world history for whom we have such details pertaining to his career originating from his own time"--
- 9789004436077 (hardback) and 9789004436084 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 32554629