Migration, Agriculture and Rural Development [electronic resource] : IMISCOE Short Reader / by Michele Nori, Domenica Farinella
- Nori, Michele
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2020.
- 1st ed. 2020.
- Physical Description:
- X, 139 p. 19 illus. online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Farinella, Domenica and SpringerLink (Online service)
- IMISCOE Research Series, 2364-4087
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- 1: Rural world, migration and agriculture in the EU-Mediterranean countries: an introduction -- 2: Restructuring of agriculture and the rural world in EUMed countries -- 3: Mobility and migrations in the rural areas of the EU -- 4: Rural destination areas: impacts and practices -- 5: Rural origin areas: impacts and practices -- 6: Mobility and migrations in Mediterranean Europe: the case of agro-pastoralism -- 7: Conclusions.
- This open access short reader looks into the dynamics which have reshaped rural development and human landscapes in European agriculture and the role of immigrant people. Within this framework it analyses contemporary rural migrations and the emergence of immigrants in relation to the incorporation of agrarian systems into global markets, the European agricultural governance (CAP), and the struggle of local territories as differentiated practices in constant stress between innovation and resilience. It specifically explores the case of immigrant shepherds to describe the reconfiguration of agriculture systems and rural landscapes in Europe following intense immigration and the related provision of skilled labour at a relatively low cost. Being written in a very accessible way, this reader is an interesting read to students, researchers, academics, policy makers, and practitioners.
- 9783030428631, 9783030428624 (print), and 9783030428648 (print)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 32555352