Practising community-based participatory research [electronic resource] : stories of engagement, empowerment, and mobilization / edited by Shauna MacKinnon
- Vancouver, BC : Purich Books, 
- Physical Description:
- ix, 275 pages ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- MacKinnon, Shauna
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: "Research That Belongs to Us" / Shauna MacKinnon -- Part 1: We're in It for the Long Haul. It's All about Relationships: The State of the Inner City Report Project / Shauna MacKinnon -- Community Collaborative Research Partnerships: Together We Have CLOUT / Shauna MacKinnon with Josie Hill and Diane Roussin -- Participatory Evaluation Research: The CEDA Pathways Story / Shauna MacKinnon, Darlene Klyne, and Janet Nowatzki -- Community-Based Participatory Research in a Low-Income Public-Housing Project / Jim Silver, Janice Goodman, Cheyenne Henry, and Carolyn Young - The Right to Housing Story: Research and Advocacy to Increase Housing Options for Low-Income Manitobans / Clark Brownlee and Shauna MacKinnon --
Part 2: Walking Beside. Doing Research in Hollow Water First Nation: Methodological Memories / Rosa Evelia Sanchez Garcia -- Engaging Dibaajimowinan: "Stories" in Community-Based Research at Asatiwisipe Aki, Manitoba / Agnieszka Pawlowska-Mainville -- Systemic Violence in Winnipeg's Street Sex Trade: Methodological and Ethical Issues / Maya Seshia -- Not Alone: Research as a Relational Process / Sarah Cooper with Maureen Barchyn --
Part 3: Detours. Together We Have CLOUT: The Story of Making a Film Together / Carole O'Brien -- Preserving the History of Aboriginal Institutional Development in Winnipeg: Research Driven by the Community / John Loxley and Evelyn Peters -- Breaking Barriers, Building Bridges: Challenging Racial, Spatial, and Generational Divides in the City / Shauna MacKinnon, Claire Friesen, and Carole O'Brien -- Reclaiming the Talk: Popular Theatre and Historical Testimonies as First Nation Women's Empowerment in Hollow Water, Manitoba / Doris Difarnecio -- Conclusion: Possibility, Promise, and Policy Change / Shauna MacKinnon.
- "There is increasing pressure on university scholars to reach beyond the "ivory tower" and engage in collaborative research with communities. But what exactly is community-based participatory research (CBPR) and what does engagement look like? This book presents stories about CBPR from Manitoba Research Alliance projects in marginalized communities. Bringing together experienced researchers with new scholars and community practitioners, the stories describe the impetus for the projects, how they came to be implemented, and how CBPR is still being used within the community. By providing space for researchers and their collaborators to share the stories behind their research, this book offers rich insights into the power and practice of CBPR."--
- 9780774880107 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 32560858