Reclaiming indigenous governance [electronic resource] : reflections and insights from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States / edited by William Nikolakis, Stephen Cornell, Harry W. Nelson ; foreword by Sophie Pierre
- Tucson : The University of Arizona Press, 
- Physical Description:
- x, 337 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Nikolakis, William, Cornell, Stephen E. (Stephen Ellicott), 1948-, and Nelson, Harry W., 1961-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Foreword / Sophie Pierre -- From Rights to Governance and Back : Indigenous Political Transformations in the CANZUS States / Stephen Cornell -- The Shareholder Who Never Dies : The Economics of Indigenous Survival and the Development of Culturally Relevant Governance / Sir Tipene O'Regan -- The Evolution of Indigenous Self-Governance in Canada / William Nikolakis -- Ngarrindjeri Nation-Building : Securing a Future as Ngarrindjeri Ruwe/Ruwar (Lands, Waters and All Living Things) / Steve Hemming, Daryle Rigney, and Sean Berg -- The Huu-ay-aht Journey Back to Self-Determination and Self-Reliance / Angela Wesley -- From Little Things, Big Things Grow : Exercising Incremental Self Governance in Australia / Diane Smith -- Whānau Ora : Building Māori Self-Determination in Aotearoa New Zealand / Sacha McMeeking -- Indigenous Commercial Codes : Sovereignty and International Trade Agreements / Douglas Sanderson and Bradon Willms -- How the Salish and Kootenai Tribes Dealt with Settler Colonialism to Acquire and Name Séliš Ksanka Qlispe' Dam / Ronald L. Trosper -- Natural Resources and Aboriginal Autonomy : Economic Development and the Boundaries of Indigenous Control and Engagement / Ken Coates and Carin Holroyd -- Creating Space : Co-management considerations in Kakadu National Park / Justin O'Brien -- Land, Public Trust, and Governance : A Nez Perce Account / Jaime Pinkham -- Conclusion : Building Yourself and your Community : Closing Thoughts / Garry Merkel
- "This volume showcases how Native nations can reclaim self-determination and self-governance via examples from four important countries"--
- 9780816539970 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 32562760