Surplus [electronic resource] : the politics of production and the strategies of everyday life / edited by Christopher T. Morehart and Kristin De Lucia
- Boulder : University Press of Colorado, 
- Physical Description:
- xi, 338 pages : illustrations, maps ; 23 cm .
- Additional Creators:
- Morehart, Christopher T. and De Lucia, Kristin
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Surplus : the politics of production and the strategies of everyday and life : an introduction / Christopher T. Morehart and Kristin De Lucia -- The cost of conquest : assessing the impact of Inka tribute demands on the Wanka of Highland Peru / Cathy L. Costin -- Surplus and social change : the production of household and field in pre-Aztec Central Mexico / Kristin De Lucia and Christopher T. Morehart -- Surplus in the Indus civilization : agricultural choices, social relations, political effects / Heather M.-L. Miller -- Surplus from below : self-organization of production in early Sweden / T.L. Thurston -- From surplus land to surplus production in the Viking age settlement of Iceland / Douglas J. Bolender -- Surplus capture in contrasting modes of religiosity : perspectives from sixteenth century Mesoamerica / E. Christian Wells -- Surplus houses : palace politics in the bight of Benin West Africa, 1650-1727 A.D. / Neil L. Norman -- Surplus labor, ceremonial feasting and social inequality at Cahokia : a study in social process / James A. Brown and John E. Kelly -- The sociality of surplus among late Archaic hunter-gatherers of coastal Georgia / Victor D. Thompson and Christopher R. Moore -- The transactional dynamics of surplus in landscapes of enslavement : scalar perspectives from interstitial West Africa / Ann B. Stahl -- Conclusions: Surplus and the political economy in prehistory / Timothy Earle.
- "Placing the concept of surplus at the forefront of archaeological discussions on production, consumption, power, strategy, and change, this volume reaches beyond conventional ways of thinking about top-down or bottom-up models and offers a comparative framework to examine surplus, generating new questions and methodologies to elucidate the social and political economies of the past"--
- 9781607323716 (paper : alkaline paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 32567033