Universal Saivism [electronic resource] : the appeasement of all gods and powers in the Santyadhyaya of the Sivadharmasastra / Peter Bisschop
- Bisschop, Peter
- Leiden ; Boston, MA : Brill, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Gonda indological studies ; 18 and Asian Studies E-Books Online, Collection 2018, ISBN: 9789004353268
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Preliminary Material / Peter C. Bisschop -- Introduction / Peter C. Bisschop -- The Śāntyadhyāya: Edition / Peter C. Bisschop -- The Chapter on Appeasement: Translation / Peter C. Bisschop -- Appendix / Peter C. Bisschop -- Bibliography / Peter C. Bisschop -- Index / Peter C. Bisschop.
- In Universal Śaivism Peter Bisschop provides a critical edition and annotated translation of the sixth chapter of the Śivadharmaśāstra `Treatise on the Religion of Śiva', the so-called Śāntyadhyāya 'Chapter on Appeasement'. The Sanskrit text is preceded by an extensive introduction on its composition, transmission and edition. The Śivadharmaśāstra has arguably played a crucial role in the formation, development and institutionalisation of Śaivism. Through a detailed study of its extensive śānti mantra, Peter Bisschop shows how the text advocates a system in which all worldly and cosmic power is ultimately dependent upon Śiva. The mantra itself is a mine of information on the evolving pantheon of early Brahmanical Hinduism. Thanks to generous support of the J. Gonda Fund Foundation, the e-book version of this volume is available in Open Access.
- 9789004384361 (electronic book) and 9789004382466 (print)
View MARC record | catkey: 32569483