An almanack, and ephemeris, for the year of our Lord 1776 [microform] : ... Calculated for Newport, Rhode-Island, lat. 41, 27, n. and lon. 71, 10, w. from London: but may very well serve throughout all the northern colonies ... / By John Anderson, philom
- Anderson, John
- Newport, Rhode-Island : Printed by Solomon Southwick, and to be sold, wholesale and retail, at his office in Queen-Street, as cheap as any in New-England, 
- (Second edition.).
- Physical Description:
- 24 unnumbered pages : illustrations ; 18 cm (4to)
- Edition statement appears within square brackets after imprint on title page. The first edition was advertised in the Newport Mercury, Jan. 1, 1776.
Printed from the same setting of type as the first edition (Evans 13810). The errata note on p.  is here reduced to two lines and the misspelling of "throughout" in the title corrected. The distance from Kingston to Quintain given in the table on p.  has been corrected from 8 to 3 miles.
The Anatomy is the only illustration.
The prefaces to "Anderson's" almanacs for 1772 and 1773 indicate that he was a head of family in Newport or its vicinity who chose not to make his identity known. No family named Anderson is listed in the Rhode Island census of 1774, and no John Anderson is found in the Rhode Island vital records for the period. The calculations in the revived Anderson almanac of 1780 were by Benjamin West. Cf. Alden, p. 293 and Chapin, H.M. "Check list of Rhode Island almanacs." Proceedings of the American Antiquarian Society, n.s. v. 25 (1915): 26 and 38.
ONLINE VERSION AVAILABLE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Digital image available in the Readex/Newsbank Digital Evans series.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microopaque. [New York : Readex Microprint, 1955-1983. 23 x 15 cm. (Early American imprints. First series ; no. 13811).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Alden, J.E. Rhode Island, 574
Drake, M. Almanacs, 12844
Evans, C. American bibliography, 13811
View MARC record | catkey: 3277778