The synagogue in ancient Palestine : current issues and emerging trends / Rick Bonnie / Raimo Hakola / Ulla Tervahauta (eds.).
- Forschungen zur Religion und Literatur des Alten und Neuen Testaments, 2198-1183 ; volume 279
- The synagogue in ancient Palestine: current issues and emerging trends / Raimo Hakola, Rick Bonnie, Ulla Tervahauta -- I. Early synagogues and their historical context. Reassessing the impact of 70 CE on the origins and development of Palestinian synagogues / Anders Runesson, Wally V. Cirafesi -- Hasmonean memories and Hellenistic building traditions : the appearance and disappearance of synagogue buildings in the late Second Temple period / Rick Bonnie -- The synagogue at Khirbet Qana in its village context / Tom McCollough -- Priests, Judean community assemblies, and synagogue development in the Second Temple period / Matthew J. Grey -- The socio-political context of public synagogue debates in the Second Temple period / Jordan Ryan -- II. Architecture and dating. The Huqoq Synagogue : a regional variant of the Galilean type / Jodi Magnes -- On the number of synagogues and their location in the Holy Land / Chaim Ben David -- The friezes with the "peopled scrolls" motif in the Capernaum synagogue : dating by stylistic method and some aspects of the reconstruction / Svetlana Tarkhanova -- III. Leadership, power and daily life. Prayer as power, amulets, graffiti, and vernacular writing in ancient Levantine synagogues / Karen B. Stern -- Meals in the synagogue : reassessing the evidence / Eric Ottenheijm, Jonathan Pater -- Galilean synagogues as local responses to cultural globalization in late antiquity / Raimo Hakola -- A quantitative analysis of house-synagogues in ancient Palestine / Chad Spigel -- Sacred space and Torah shrines in late antique synagogues / Ulla Tervahauta -- IV. Contextualizing synagogue art. Visual vs. virtual reality : interpreting synagogue mosaic art / Zeev Weiss -- A note on the Japhi'a synagogue / Géza G. Xeravits -- The artistic milieu of the mosaic of the Beth Alpha Synagogue / Lidia Chakovskaya -- The appearace of the menorah in ancient Jewish art / Gary Gilbert.
- "This book brings together leading experts in the field of ancient synagogue studies to discuss the current issues and emerging trends in the study of synagogues in ancient Palestine. Divided into four thematic units, the different contributions apply archaeological, textual, historical and art historical methodologies to questions related to ancient synagogues"--
- 9783525522141 (hardbound) and 3525522142
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Action Note:
- Archivierung/Langzeitarchivierung gewährleistet PENI
View MARC record | catkey: 32852039