Geometry with an Introduction to Cosmic Topology / Michael Hitchman
- Department of Mathematics, McMinnville, Oregon : Michael P. Hitchman, 2020. and Minneapolis, MN : Open Textbook Library
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Hitchman, Michael P. and Open Textbook Library
- Open textbook library
- Language Note:
- In English.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- 1 An Invitation to Geometry -- 2 The Complex Plane -- 3 Transformations -- 4 Geometry -- 5 Hyperbolic Geometry -- 6 Elliptic Geometry -- 7 Geometry on Surfaces -- 8 Cosmic Topology
- Motivated by questions in cosmology, the open-content text Geometry with an Introduction to Cosmic Topology uses Mobius transformations to develop hyperbolic, elliptic, and Euclidean geometry - three possibilities for the global geometry of the universe. The text, written for students who have taken vector calculus, also explores the interplay between the shape of a space and the type of geometry it admits. Geometry is suitable for a semester course in non-Euclidean geometry or as a guide to independent study, with over 200 exercises and several essays on topics including the history of geometry, parallax and curvature, and research aimed at determining the shape of the universe.
- Copyright Note:
View MARC record | catkey: 32854467