Liu Xiaodong : weight of insomnia / Liu Xiaodong
- Liu, Xiaodong, 1963-
- Additional Titles:
- Liu Xiaodong: Shi mian de zhong liang
weight of insomnia
刘小东 ： 失眠的重量
- London : Lisson Gallery, 2019.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (unpaged) : illustrations (some color) ; 33 x 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Lisson Gallery (London, England)
- Lisson Gallery catalogue ; 93
- Language Note:
- Text in English and Chinese.
- Since 2015, Chinese painter Liu Xiaodong (born1963) has been developing a technologically radical project to create landscape paintings using robotic arms and surveillance cameras. Collectively entitled 'Weight of Insomnia', this series of paintings is an attempt to quantify the emotional burden carried by people moving through the seemingly ceaseless surroundings of the 24-hour city. Taking live feeds, streaming data and imagery from specific locations, Liu's painting machine processes these real-time images of the ever-changing flow of humanity into a complex network of abstract marks on canvas, resulting in a machine-manufactured painting. This book is the first to publish the full extent of this project through its iterations in China, Germany, the UK and Australia. The volume also includes an interview with the artist as well as Liu's diaries written during the project's gestation, installation shots and working documents. Exhibition: Lisson Gallery, London, UK (25.01.-02.03.2019).
- 9780947830717 hardcover
- Published on the occasion of the exhibition at Lisson Gallert, January 25-March 2, 2019.
View MARC record | catkey: 32855103