Neighbourhood, dwelling and apartment building income mixing : measures and experimental estimates across census metropolitan areas / by W. Mark Brown and River Yang
- Brown, W. Mark
- [Ottawa] : Statistics Canada = Statistique Canada, 2020.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (26 pages).
- Additional Creators:
- Statistics Canada
- publications.gc.ca , Free-to-read
- epe.lac , Free-to-read
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This paper reviews alternative measures of income mixing within geographic units and applies them using geographically detailed income data derived from tax records. It highlights the characteristics of these measures, particularly their ease of interpretation and their suitability to decomposition across different levels of analysis, from neighbourhoods to individual apartment buildings. The discussion focuses on three measures: the dissimilarity index, the information theory index and the divergence index (D-index). Particular emphasis is placed on the D-index because it most effectively describes how income distributions at the sub-metropolitan level (e.g., neighbourhoods) differ from distributions at the metropolitan level (i.e., how much income sorting occurs across neighbourhoods). Furthermore, the D-index can consistently measure the contributions of income sorting within neighbourhoods (e.g., across individual apartment buildings) to the degree of income mixing at the neighbourhood and metropolitan scales.
- Report Numbers:
- Apartment houses—Social aspects—Statistical methods
- Income—Social aspects—Statistical methods
- Immeubles d'habitation—Aspect social—Méthodes statistiques
- Revenu—Aspect social—Méthodes statistiques
- Box plot
- Census geographic units of canada
- Economic inequality
- Household income in the united states
- Income inequality metrics
- Interquartile range
- Issued also in French under title: Diversité des revenus dans les quartiers, les logements et les immeubles d'appartements, mesures et estimations expérimentales dans les régions métropolitaines de recensement.
Distributed by the Governmet of Canada Publishing and Depository Services Program (Weekly acquisitions list 2020-04).
"January 21, 2020."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Type of File/Data:
- Electronic monograph in PDF format.
View MARC record | catkey: 32855726